While still in law school, Stephan decided to dedicate his career to helping victims of tragic personal injury and wrongful death. Over the past decade, Stephan has been one of the top ten Attorneys in the state in securing and collecting multi-million dollar verdicts on the behalf of his clients.
Today, the law firm he established with attorney Antonio Romanucci represents primarily individuals and their families who have lost loved ones or who have experienced severe personal injuries. He has concentrated his practice in the following areas: medical negligence, motor vehicle crashes, product liability cases, construction accidents, workplace accidents, and aviation disasters. Antonio and Stephan’s passion and conviction in the courtroom have resulted in dozens of verdicts or settlements of $1 million or greater. They have obtained the largest medical malpractice verdict in Cook County in 2009 against a hospital ($22.3 million).
In addition to practicing law, Stephan strives to make a difference in people’s lives through his leadership in nonprofit organizations. He has served on the board of directors for the following organizations: West Side Mentally Retarded Children’s Association, Knapp Burn Foundation, Midwest Brain Injury Clubhouse and Salute Inc. In 2009, he launched Law Firm Bound, a program to help law schools find ways to increase the number of students of color. He is a member of the Diversity Pipeline Committee of the Illinois State Bar Association, and serves on the board of managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
- Member, Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission Hearing Board (2010, 2011)
- Ranked by other attorneys in Illinois as a Super Lawyer (R) and a member of the Leading Lawyers Network
- An AV (R) rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a testament to the fact that his peers have ranked him at the highest level of professional excellence. A lawyer must be admitted to the bar for 10 years or more to receive an AV rating
- Memberships: Illinois State Bar Association, Public Justice, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Society of Trial Lawyers, American Association for Justice, Motorcycle Injury Trial Lawyers Association
- Past trial advocacy instructor at DePaul College of Law
- Founding Member, Illinois State Bar Association Law & Leadership Institute
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1986
- B.A., Political Science, DePaul University, 1983
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice:
- Illinois, 1986
- Northern District of Illinois, 1987
- Illinois, 1987