On behalf of Romanucci & Blandin, LLC posted in Product Liability on Thursday, February 28, 2013
As a consumer in Chicago, you have the right to believe that the food items you buy at the store are safe for your consumption. However, sometimes they may have hidden dangers that you might not think about.
This is something that one family found out the hard way. They are currently suing the manufacturers of Monster Energy Drinks after the death of their daughter. They believe that the drink is a dangerous product and that the huge amounts of caffeine it contains led to the girl’s death.
They argue that the company did not disclose the potentially dangerous amount of caffeine contained in each can. They claim that a real health risk is associated with drinking Monster Energy Drinks and also believe that the company specifically markets their products to a sensitive audience, specifically teenagers and young adults.
The 14-year-old girl was pronounced brain dead six days after she lost consciousness after consuming two 24-ounce cans of the energy drink. Health professionals believe that the large amounts of caffeine in the drink — one 24-ounce can contains the same amount of caffeine as seven 12-ounce cans of caffeinated soda — led to a toxic state in the girl’s body and caused cardiac arrhythmia.
The girl’s mother filed the lawsuit in an effort to force the company to list the amount of caffeine on the can’s label and to bring attention to this product. Though nothing can bring her daughter back, the woman hopes that her efforts will bring about change in the growing energy drink market.
Source: The Record Herald, “Monster putting caffeine content on its labels,” Denise Bonura, Feb. 15, 2013